How to Become a Pilot in Cameroon? Best Aviation Schools in Cameroon. How Much Does a Pilot Earn in Cameroon? (Salary of a Pilot)
Do you want to learn how to become a pilot in Cameroon and enjoy every detail of courses and fees requirements? Follow the steps in this article for information on how to get your pilot training, and you are good to go.
It must be noted that learning how to fly an aeroplane, either a private jet or commercial airline is actually one of the most straightforward tasks in becoming a pilot.
The tricky part of being a pilot is being in charge of one, which encompasses the cabin crew, Cargo, and the passengers you are transporting to whatever part of the world.
Furthermore, you must know that the lives and safety of everyone aboard depend mainly on the pilot.
And this real-life situation is actually not as easy as it might seem to most people who see pilots in operations through western movies.
Another challenging aspect of becoming a pilot in Cameroon is the training, time, and money. Have you seen our post on the new cost of International Passport in Cameroon? You should check it out.
But, we are not here to scare you about the problematic aspects. To be fair, working as a pilot is one of the most lucrative, exciting, and attractive jobs anyone could wish for.
So, if you are one who loves the open skies, then maybe a career as a commercial pilot is your calling.
Let us delve into all the training and necessary information you need to know in order to make that particular dream a reality.
Who Is a Pilot?
A pilot is an individual in any aviation company, be it commercial, Private, or Military trained, qualified to operate an aircraft to transport people, goods, military personnel or Cargo.
Pilots are usually employed by government agencies, private companies, and commercial airlines in Cameroon.
Yes, you complete your flight training and become a professional pilot; you can be hired by any of these top local airlines in Cameroon.
Best or Top Aviation Schools in Cameroon
An example of an aviation school in Cameroon is CAE Oxford Aviation Academy based in Douala.
Trainees can obtain an Airline Training Pilot License (ATPL). The aviation school has an integrated ab initio airline pilot training as approved by Cameroon Civil Aviation Authority (CCAA).
The training of pilots in this aviation school is divided as follows:
- Step 1: Douala, Cameroon: Includes 800 h of Theoretical ATPL (A) training program, based on the JAR approved ATPL theoretical program of SFA.
- Step 2: Phoenix, USA: This step includes 207 hours of Flight Training for the following licenses and qualifications: CPL, IR, PPL ME. These qualifications are endorsed by the FAA and CCAA.
- Step 3: Phoenix, USA: This final step includes an extended Multi-crew Coordination Course (MCC) including 20 hours of B 737 full-flight simulator.
Types of Aviation Jobs For Pilots in Cameroon
Private pilots in Cameroon are either self-employed, or their services are acquired by individuals who have private jets to provide transport.
The aviation industry is vast, with many opportunities available to work in Cameroon, either private or public.
Careers are also available in the military, where pilots transport military personnel, soldiers, equipment, or goods for the Government.
Military pilots fly jets, bombers, and helicopters in combat, rescue, or reconnaissance missions.
Functions of a Pilot
- They are tasked with transporting people either for business or recreational purposes.
- They also transport members of the military to combat zones
- They transport private goods, commercial products, or other types of Cargo to appointed destinations.
- Pilots check the weather and confirm flight plans before moving.
- They also perform pre-flight inspections and check flight logs prior to departure.
- In the course of a flight, pilots are responsible for the safety of all crew and passengers on board.
How to Become a Pilot In Cameroon (Requirements)
For students aspiring to fly the skies in the future, there are many requirements involved in becoming a pilot in Cameroon.
Without meeting these requirements, it is impossible to achieve that flying dream of yours.
To become a pilot, one must meet the following requirements:
- You must be at least 18 years old: This is the minimum age before you can even gain admission into any aviation schools in Cameroon before being employed in the Industry.
- You must be fluent in English and any other native language: English is the formal language to communicate in Cameroon. You have to be able to speak English correctly as well as fluently.
- You must have a GCE Ordinary Level Certificate with a minimum of 5 credits, including Mathematics, English, Physics, Geography, and any other science subjects.
- You must have a University degree which is not mandatory but gives you a higher chance of getting a job.
- You must have a Commercial Pilot Certificate: This is the final requirement before you can get employed by any airline company in Cameroon.
Pilot Course Qualification
To be a professional pilot to fly aeroplanes in Cameroon, you must have a commercial pilot certificate.
Requirements to become a Cameroonian pilot.
To get the commercial pilot certificate, you need to enrol in any of the top aviation schools in Cameroon.
One thing to note is that aviation schools usually require high tuition fees ranging from N5-7 million.
This is usually because the course is a practical intensive course where you will have to drive test planes or a simulation.
Through any of these Aviation schools, you will go through training in different courses including a Private license course, Instrument rating, Multi-Engine rating, Night rating, and so on.
Aside from these courses, you will also go through training to learn how to drive a plane through either simulations or test planes.
Before you can graduate as a certified pilot, you must have passed all the tests, examinations, and successfully completed a minimum of 40 hours of flight training.
Then you will be awarded a Private Pilot License.
Commercial Pilot License
To have a commercial Pilot License, you need to successfully complete at least 1,500 flight hours.
To be able to work for any airline company in Cameroon, you need at least 4,000 hours of flight training under your belt.
Also, these licenses are issued at the end of your training by the Cameroon Civil Aviation Authority CCAA.
For those who need to know how to become a pilot in Cameroon, specifically in the Cameroonian airforce, all you need is to join the Cameroon Defense Academy (or EMIA).
Though admission into this school is usually very hard due to demanding screening requirements that might involve your physical features aside from your intellectual qualifications, it's generally more accessible from there once you get in.
The tuition fees for Military Pilot Training is relatively low compared to Commercial Pilot training due to the Government's input.
Interestingly enough, while some individuals are interested in learning how to fly an aircraft, some visit driving schools to learn how to drive.
Suggested: How to get a Driver's License in Cameroon?
What Is Pilot Type Rating?
Pilot Type Rating is like getting a license to drive any kind of aircraft.
To get a better explanation, it is usually compared to getting your driver's license.
Let us play with the idea that your drivers' license only gave you the right to drive cars in general, and when you get your driver's license, you would still need to get a "type rating" for Volvos (if that is the car you are going to drive).
However, this "type rating" would only allow you to drive Volvos, and you would have to get another "type rating" for a Toyota or a BMW. That is how it works type ratings for pilots!
In other words, when you have obtained the licenses and ratings you need to apply for jobs as a First Officer you can technically fly any aircraft. You just have to get type rated on that particular aircraft first.
Importance of Pilot Schools In Cameroon
- Pilot schools help train seasoned Pilots to help transport people within Cameroon to other countries.
- Pilot schools improve the foreign exchange trade in Cameroon through businesses with other international bodies.
How Much Does a Pilot Earn in Cameroon? (Salary of a Pilot)
For anyone especially looking for how to become a pilot in Cameroon, you are expected to also be interested in the incentives that come with becoming one.
The reason might be due to the high cost of training in Cameroon. Without Type Rating, a fresh pilot from a Cameroonian aviation school with a Commercial Pilot License (CPL), licensed by the Cameroon Civil Aviation Authority (CCAA, may find it difficult to get a job in Cameroon.
Though the chances may be slim, it is possible if the airline wishes to send you on training to get your type rating.
In Cameroon today, a Commercial Pilot license holder without a type rating can earn a salary in the range of 500,000 XAF - 1,500,000 XAF, while one with a type rating can get up to 3,000,000 XAF per month depending on the airline and experience. However, aA Cameroonian Pilot who I, Captain (usually referred to as authority of the aircraft), earns up to 5 million francs CFA monthly depending on the airline.
Local airline Captains earn up to 4,000,000 FCFA monthly, while international airline captains earn close to 7,000,000 FCFA per month.
If becoming a pilot of your dreams, especially as a student, you must make sure you give your utmost best to make it come true.
We hope this comprehensive guide on being a pilot in Cameroon guides you appropriately.
Also, let us have your comments in the box provided below.